Welcome to my world!

Hello All--

I would like to welcome you all to my Chronicles. The issues discussed below range from societal problems, personal feelings, sports, politics, etc. There are no limits to what I may be thinking at any point. Sit back and enjoy at your leisure. I am interesting to see what you feel about my views on some of the most pressing issues facing our world to the small things like the Yankee game.

Again, welcome to the Bashir Ali Chronicles.....ENJOY my friend.

Bashir Ali.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Lost Generation



Started back in 1926 as "Negro History Week," Dr. Carter G. Woodson sought to make our history know and accepted. Over the years the week developed into BLACK History Month. There was an understanding that all people (especially African-Americans) were suppose to cherish this history because Black History IS world history.

Through the stains of slavery that discredited a country--to the Civil Rights movement that brought about institutional change-- to the black power movement that forced us to be cognizant of who we are as a people-- to the Movement for Change that produced this nation's first African American President we have a storied history. Yet, this history is often forgotten by many blacks and some don't even know or care to know the struggles and SUCCESS of our people.

In this age most black youth are so lost. Lost in a sense that their priorities are completely inoperative. Some my age may see this as completely innocuous but I feel some type of way and shouldn't I? I think about the blood, sweat and tears that have been shed for us to behave in the way that we do today. This attitude of apathy for our history has become quite infectious among many my age.

Here is an example of how and why this has become a problem. Recently, I sat in a Black Student Union meeting on my campus and the question of when did the Civil War end? I knew the answer from the start but I wanted to see if anyone else truly knew this important date in OUR nations history. Much to my chagrin, someone shouted out "1965" and another "1883" and then rambles of other wrong dates. Frustratingly, I vociferously say "1865!" I was complete embarrassed that a group of BLACK people didn't know when the Civil War ended. Probably one of the single most important events for African-Americans and people didn't know when it ended. I started to think what else they didn't know.

Did they know when Emancipation was granted? Did they know what the reconstruction amendments meant? Did they know the effects of Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) and how it basically legalized racism for another 58 years until Brown. Did they only know just Martin L. King, Jr. and Malcolm X as those famous black dudes who got shot? These were the questions that ran through my mind. Did they know who Edward Brooke or Shirley Chislom or Barbara Jordan or Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.? I was frustrated they knew Lil Wayne and Denzel Washington and LeBron James more than Marian Anderson, Sideny Pottier, and Jesse Owens.

What is happening to my generation? Will our history be forgotten? NO, I wouldn't see that extreme coming before us, but it is very disconcerting to know that a lot of people don't know where they've come from. Some of you may say, well you have offered a lot of criticism but where is the solution? My solution is to challenge each and everyone of you to take more pride in OUR history because if not then we are sure to be LOST.

Just some thoughts

Bashir Ali

2 comments:

  1. Damn I understand young pharaoh I hated being in those meetings feeling like we were all "mis-educated" if you may. I guess that goes back to the 10% of us that have to lead. 1965? that's ridiculous our parents weren't involved in the civil war. American education is a joke sometimes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea--it was bad. I was sitting there like is everyone serious. Exactly why I am doing that program Alpha Week.

    ReplyDelete